SO MUCH TROUBLE IN THE WORLD

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Mission Accomplished?

This is an important documentary that was brought to my attention by a blog I read often. The blog is called Terrorism News. It is an intelligently written, and often updated blog. I have added it to my links and you should definitely check it out from time to time.




The name of the film is ”Mission Accomplished”. It is directed by a Journalist by the name of Sean Langan. I really urge each and every one of you to take the time to watch this very important film.

This film is comprised primarily of Langan's travels through Iraq a few months after President George W. Bush declared that the "end of major combat operations" had been reached. Langan includes footage of firefights and suicide bombers, as well as interviews with those who have taken up arms in an attempt to get the United States out of their country.

The film comes out of the Cinema Libre movement, which promotes socially conscious and politically minded filmmaking. Tackling the subject of the second Gulf war, the documentary Mission Accomplished was filmed on the battlegrounds of Iraq. The film takes a critical look at the US involvement in the war, but also tries to accurately represent several points of view. By spending time with US soldiers who are risking their lives overseas, the filmmakers attempt to capture the experience of being young and at war. Meanwhile, the film also takes special care to show the other side of the story, from the perspective of those Iraqi people who have become the war's biggest victims.

Please take the time to view this film. I watched it in two installments, and I am very glad to have taken the time to do so.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

ah, the irony..I post about the negative side of google video..you post about the good side..

I will watch it..as soon as I get my laptop back from the shop..this pos(piece of shit)PC just can't handle a video of that length.

2:04 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

Hey, Peter,

I hadn't heard of "Mission Accomplished," but I will try to watch it soon.

By the way, thanks for coming over to my blog and leaving a message about my non-review review of Al Gore's movie. How the Hell did you find it?

So how are things over here at your blog? Do you have a regular hate-filled, delusional troll to slap around and ridicule? They're so cute when they're little! They say the darnedest things.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Toni said...

Loved the documentary, thanks for the great recommendation. As you pointed out, he did a great job of balancing the perspective of the American forces, Iraqi insurgents and, most importantly, Iraqis caught in the middle.

Also loved the snippets Lagan included of 'Freedom Radio'. Not that the message was particularly elusive, but it provided a particularly novel example of the surreal and horrifying nature of life in Iraq.

11:52 PM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

gee. and your comments are always sooo funny.

you have a dark side and an incredibly jovial side.

me too.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home