SO MUCH TROUBLE IN THE WORLD

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Search your heart for what you know is right



I once went out with a girl in college, and we were talking about the subject of animal rights. I mentioned that I firmly did not believe in animal testing of any kind. She got very angry, and told me she felt I was overly liberal and blind to the need for such things. She felt that in some cases it would or could save human life. I disagreed with her then, and I disagree with her now.

That doesn’t mean that I do not value human life as well. I very much do value human life. I am equally sick of our practice of using the poor of other countries (India) to drug test. This is a practice that occurs every single day and it goes on more than anyone hears about in the press.

Why do we feel we can use people and things that are weaker than we are? What the fuck is wrong with us? Where does this sense of entitlement come from?

There are many ways we can test products and drugs without the use of animals or desperate poor people. We have the ability to simulate tissue and organs in a lab. It costs more, but that is tough shit.

Some people (Ann “dirt bag” Coulter) will quote the bible (Genesis 1:26) God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the sky, and over the livestock, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."

I am quite sure that God did not want us to treat animals the way we do now. Animals are among the most beautiful things on earth, and I find it hard to believe that God put them here for us to abuse as we see fit. If he did, he can suck my dick.

I am not a hard-core vegan idealist, but killing an animal in a cruel manner or for an unnecessary reason is completely unacceptable. People do not need to wear fur. It certainly doesn’t make Jennifer Lopez look any better.

Designers including Stella McCartney, Vivienne Westwood, Todd Oldham, and Marc Bouwer have 'created synthetic alternatives that are hip, humane, and easily available and don't turn animals into fashion victims.

This is a PETA commercial for the “Fur is Dead” campaign. I applaud Trent Reznor for doing this spot. Everyone can handle watching this footage and should do so. Perhaps it will wake you up to what happens in China on a daily basis.





I am adding this raw video from the Chinese fur market for anyone who is not convinced by the first one. I was only able to make it a minute or two into this video before I had to turn it off. I was sitting here crying my eyes out. It was not a “boo hoo” type of moment. I was full of hate and rage. Tears were streaming down my face and I felt my hands tighten into fists. It is beyond my comprehension that anyone can do this to a living thing. If I were to personally witness something like what is contained in this video I would easily be able to kill a human being.

WARNING: THIS VIDEO IS GRAPHIC AND VERY DIFFICULT TO WATCH




Dog and Cat fur is often used in inexpensive children’s toys (Walmart). Please do not buy anything from China that might in any way support this practice. Whatever you think about them as an organization as a whole, I urge you to support PETA in their battle against the Chinese fur trade.

24 Comments:

Blogger creature said...

I'm so upset now (I watched some of the 2nd video), why won't they just kill the poor thing, stop the suffering.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Peter Matthes said...

I don't know.

Every time I try to watch it all the way through, I have to turn it off even sooner.

I can't tell you what happens after 90 seconds or so.

This is a subject which cuts me to my core.

8:53 PM  
Blogger creature said...

I'm still stunned, I'm gonna link to this post tomorrow.

9:18 PM  
Blogger anne altman said...

if a country doesn't have human rights, they're not going to have animal rights.

you can kiss china goodbye for another century or so on this subject.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Dreamlover said...

I didn't watch the video's because I can only imagine, but this is a subject I also feel strongly about.

Us selfish humans are fucking up everything in the earth!!!

10:03 PM  
Blogger The Lone Beader® said...

Peter, you are so correct....We can look to Pamela Anderson as a good example here....She only wears pleather & fake fur...unless of course, it's a vintage item. Then I think you could make an exception.

And, of course, if you know the leather came from a cow that was slaughtered for some filet mignons, then it's OK, too:)

11:17 PM  
Blogger Myself said...

Unfortuantely, people don't think what they buy and how they've been made, they just look at price and get excited with cheap products from China

11:49 PM  
Blogger Maxine Weiss said...

Yes, but.....some of the tactics that the animal rights people aren't very nice----didn't they throw paint on Joan Rivers?

I'm more concerned about human testing. It seems that every drug that gains approval, nowadays, hasn't gone through full testing, making the unknowing (humans) the gunea pigs.

Everything is absolutely rushed to market without enough research being done....so we are all the test subjects, nowadays, whether we want to be or not.

Animals aren't the only victims around here.

Peace, Maxine

12:41 AM  
Blogger Peter Matthes said...

I guess here is the big difference.

-Most human beings can speak up.
-Most human beings can vote.
-Most human beings have a choice.

I will go out of my way to stand up for a desperate man or woman trying to provide for their family. In situations of such desperate poverty, people will go as far as to sell their own organs.

I will even stand up for a guinea pig. Animals don't have a say when you smear chemicals in their eyes. You should visit the PETA web site and look at what we do to monkeys and sheep and rabbits. 



A lot of these FDA approved drugs that cause side effects in humans, do so because they have only been tested on animals.

True victims are given no choice or information. Being a victim requires a sense of helplessness. 


People complain about the current administration, and yet they don't vote.

If someone has a problem with the FDA, they should do something about it.

People who can stand up for themselves should do so.

Otherwise survival of the fittest applies to spoiled, uninformed and lazy Americans as well.

Somehow I think Joan Rivers will be okay. Throwing paint at Joan Rivers is like throwing sand at a beach.

1:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am totally in agreement w/you Peter. Sorry, but I can not watch either video. I have seen too many of them. The "cheap" factor is exactly why animals are used for testing. Its bullshit..totally bullshit. The practices of countries like China and Canada regarding the harp seals is abominable.

2:49 AM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

i can't watch the video, but i appreciate your posting this to your blog and sharing it.

What a great post. And your comments here as well. (Especially re: -Most human beings can speak up. -Most human beings can vote. -Most human beings have a choice.)

PM, I so very much appreciate your outspoken compassion...

3:49 AM  
Blogger Ms. Procrastination said...

It was very hard for me to watch 'til the end. Really heart-wrenching!
We are living in a cynical world where the weaker ones are always being bullied. It really is a tough shit.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

i don't watch those anymore. i don't buy fur, i don't eat meat or dairy and i buy products that are not tested on animals.

it IS disgusting the way we treat animals. i just don't understand it. i just dont'...

weird i posted about animals today too!

12:28 PM  
Blogger meesh said...

Thanks for your amazing post. I couldn't agree with you more. I no longer buy cosmetics that are tested on animlas and I do my best to avoid the other stuff. (thank you, www.Lush.com)

I couldn't watch the video, but I know what's on there. It's amazing to me how people can separate themselves from such suffering. Doesn't it just make logical sense that if an animal has nerve endings like people do, then it can experience pain? No matter what you think about an animal's soul or personality you have to admit that they are living creatures.

I know I'm preachin' to the choir here. It just makes me physically sick to think about this stuff.

1:27 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

no fur!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Ranting said...

I was just pondering a sort of animal cruelty last night on my blog. I am astonished the way some humans feel about animals. But some humans do not treat other humans well... of course they r not going to treat defensless animals any better. SOOOOOOO sad.

8:36 PM  
Blogger mere said...

great blog, peter matthes. i loved the carlin/coulter post. i'm a huge george carlin fan and i'm sorry i missed the show!

8:42 PM  
Blogger Peter Matthes said...

You didn't miss anything Mere.

Trust me.

9:01 PM  
Blogger TheHalloweenXmas©/misssuppression/RooBMoon said...

the first thing I noticed was the ADORABLE seal that heads this post...then I read on.
This just pisses me off.
Quoting the bible is just an excuse - and a way to not have to think for yourself.

Your ex girl friend there , no offense , but what a frickin WINNER
...I mean JERK!

I think - think what you want , but dont force it on others by quoting shit like the bible to prove points.
Unfortunately , not everyone follows the same religious beliefs.

"We want out right to be free and we want it now"

And leave the poor animals in peace

10:58 PM  
Blogger Peter Matthes said...

My ex was a very intelligent girl and a very big animal lover. It was for this very reason that I was shocked by her reaction.

I understand her point of view, but I disagree with it. I simply feel that we have many ways to test products and drugs without abusing lab animals.

If we can't find a way to safely test something without harming someone or something, perhaps we can do without it.

11:29 PM  
Blogger TheHalloweenXmas©/misssuppression/RooBMoon said...

sorry about your ex , didnt mean to strike any chords - but how wicked....i simply take it back , shes not a jerk...
i agree - forget about testing.
wanna test? - test on yourself!
if you cant do it...then , there will be no testing.

2:05 AM  
Blogger Peter Matthes said...

No worries.

I just wanted to clarify my portrayal of her, and her point of view.

2:20 AM  
Blogger Nic Jones said...

I could only watch the first video. I started crying and can't watch the second one. Thanks for everyone's links mentioned in these comments. I will definitely check them out. By the way, your doggie is the cutest thing ever!!

9:27 PM  
Blogger Arthur said...

I feel so sorry for what they have done to that poor, adorable creature! I wish karma will get back at those nasty fur traders.

I'm guilty of wearing furs once in my lifetime (when I was in NC). Fake ones actually! :D

Nice expose Matt!

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home