SO MUCH TROUBLE IN THE WORLD

Friday, May 12, 2006

Daryll for President

In an interview on CBS' "60 Minutes" to air Sunday (7 p.m. EDT), Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks says one threat she received in the summer of 2003 was different from the others.

"It was definitely scary because it seemed so "it wasn't just somebody wanting to write a hate letter," she says. "It was somebody who obviously thought they had a plan." The threat had a time, had a place, and had a weapon. I mean, everything. ..."You will be shot dead at your show in Dallas."

The threat came on the heels of a comment Natalie made while performing in Britain. Maines, lead singer of the Dixie Chicks, told a London audience during a March 10, 2003, concert: "Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas." The comment was made as war was looming with Iraq.




I have a lot of respect for these women. Not only do they stand by what they believe in, they do it at great risk to their professional lives. God knows that liberal Democrats don't make up the lion share of their audience. It's tobacco chewing, NASCAR watching, cousin diddling rednecks. Yeah ... That's right ... I said backward ass rednecks.




A lot of people criticize actors and musicians for making political comments. Their argument is that performers should stick to what they know best and keep their nose out of politics.

If that's true, then all you rednecks in the south should stick to Garth Brooks, tractor pulling, banjo playing, talking on your CB radio and stuffing little mammals.




U2's Bono has done more good politically than a half dozen US Senators that I can think of right off the top of my head. Consequently, the ones I am thinking of all come from red states.

In a free country, if you have half a brain, it is your duty to stand up for what you believe is right and just. I am still not a fan of country music, but I will always be a fan of brave women like the Dixie Chicks who stand up for what they believe in despite the pressure to conform.

12 Comments:

Blogger Bello (Buddy) Manjaro said...

And their harmonies make the angels weep at the beauty.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Dreamlover said...

I respect the Dixie Chicks alot as well, it took alot of guts to speak up like they did!!

2:32 AM  
Blogger @alyssa ettinger said...

peter, before you go waxing on about bono you should do some research about his friendship with jesse helms, one of the most evil men in america. (and no, i'm not kidding)

9:27 AM  
Blogger Peter Matthes said...

My understanding is that Bono and Jesse Helms found common ground in their concern of the unrestrained spread of AIDS in Africa.

I wouldn't piss on Arlen Spector if his hair was on fire, but I respect the fact that even he can see how out of hand the NSA is right now.

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;" - Matthew 5:44

"But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you," - Luke 6:27

"But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil." - Luke 6:25

Can I hear an Amen?

10:02 AM  
Blogger Bello (Buddy) Manjaro said...

Amen. Shalom.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Shadowspun said...

I've never liked (most modern) C&W music, but these ladies have my appreciation and admiration. Now, if only their new record actually gets play on the radio stations...

As for Specter, coming from a Pennsylvanian, he's mildly better than Santorum, at least. We're working on getting rid of the bad ones. Santorum has the priority of ouster at the moment, though.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Diamond Ry said...

Bono was ok when he use to sing. Achtung baby was cool. I don't know what I'm doing here either...

3:22 PM  
Blogger @alyssa ettinger said...

peter, there have to be better ways to accomplish goals than to partner with racist and immoral hate-mongers.

when you use your fame to help others, you need to remember that a lot of people--from all walks of life--will look up to you and remember what you've done. at this point, any time anyone mentions bono i think about jesse helms. in a conservative mind, that's not a good thing.

my house is a U2 free zone for this reason... there's a far bigger picture here.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Peter Matthes said...

Boy Alyssa, Jesse only says the nicest things about you. He's coming over today to watch "Roots" with me and I can't bring myself to tell him what you said.

I was going to partner with Strom Thurmond to knock out adult illiteracy, but then that little bastard went and died on me.

I'll be back ... "MLK" from "The Unforgettable Fire" is on.

I am not sure what Bono was trying to do by enlisting the help of Jesse Helms. You would have to ask him. However I am quite sure Bono is not a racist. Next you're going to say that Alec Baldwin is violent and is prone to fits of rage.

When I was a kid, Big Bird from Sesame Street had this song which still sticks with me. It's called "Everyone Makes Mistakes"

*

I've a special secret children ought to know;
It's about the little mistakes you make as you begin to grow.
If you make a mistake, you shouldn't start to cry.
Mistakes are not so bad, and here is why:

Oh everyone makes mistakes.
Oh, yes they do
Your sister and your brother and your dad and mother too;
Big people, small people, matter of fact, all people!
Everyone makes mistakes, so why can't you?

If you make a mistake while counting to ten,
Well don't get mad and don't be sad;
Just start to count again.
And if you should only get to eight or nine,
I'm still your friend and I still like you fine,

'Cause everyone makes mistakes.
Oh, yes they do
Your sister and your brother and your dad and mother too;
Big people, small people, matter of fact, all people!
Everyone makes mistakes, so why can't you?

If you spill a glass of milk all over the floor,
Well, your mom and dad still like you just as much as they did before,
'Cause when Mother and Dad were just as small as you,
I'll bet that they knocked their milk over too.

'Cause everyone makes mistakes.
Oh, yes they do
Your sister and your brother and your dad and mother too;
Big people, small people, matter of fact, all people!
Everyone makes mistakes, so why can't you?

If everyone in the whole wide world makes mistakes,
Then why can't you?

*

I am sure that Bono, like everyone, is not perfect. Just look at that stuff he did with Sinatra. However, I know his intentions were good.

6:20 PM  
Blogger @alyssa ettinger said...

the road to hell is paved with good intentions. ;-)

9:03 PM  
Blogger Sister Christian said...

Awesome!! I like it!! You're right, a lot of people really do think that performers should merely stick to what they know, but really, that's a load of bullfunky. We're all people, and we all have (or most of us have) brains with educated opinions. I share your respect for the Dixie Chicks 'cause they really did put their professional careers at risk. I like the way this is written, though. I will most definitely visit this Blog more often.

1:14 PM  
Blogger G said...

I think they are fabulous to sticking to their beliefs in a see of red down in Texas. but perhaps that is bc I share their disdain for a certain hedge that is ruining this country even more.

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home