SO MUCH TROUBLE IN THE WORLD

Saturday, October 07, 2006

I learned it from watching NASA

Sometimes the lowest bidder does win the prize.

Since I was accepted into the Director's Guild of America recently, this item jumped out at me when I saw it for auction. It was among a long list of items being offered by the family of the late ... and great I might add ... Marlon Brando.

ITEM DESCRIPTION:
Marlon Brando's Director's Guild of America Membership Card. Brando's unsigned DGA membership card for the 1972-73. Despite his proven talent in handling actors and a large production while directing One-Eyed Jacks (1961), Brando found the editing process boring and never again directed another film. The card is in Excellent with a little tanning along the right edge. From the collection of Marlon Brando.



They estimated it would go for $680.00 - $1050.00

It would seem that I was the highest bidder at $300.00

Suckers!

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

You, my friend, are a lucky man! Wow! I would love to have been there to say "Three 0 one!"...

8:09 PM  
Blogger Peter Matthes said...

But you weren't ...

So naddy naddy boom boom!

Kidding.

Thanks.

I am happy I got it, because I will take great care of this card. I also love the fact that Marlon most likely thought the DGA, like all of Hollywood, was full of crap.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

Yes. Marlon was a rebel, eh? I loved to just watch him when he was just standing there in a film. He had such command of the body when it came to his actions that he said as much through his actions as he did with his voice. Of course, actions, on and off stage (film), speak so much louder than words (dialogue), eh?

In my life, as a thespian, I have witnessed the bad actor make it on looks and marketing alone. It boggles the mind when someone says their favorite "actor" is Pitt or Cruise or Joli or "fill in the blank", they are not talking about the art of acting, they are, as I am sure you know, talking about the marketability of actors.

Brando certainly made most pale in comparison when it came to American cinema or even, of course, to the American stage.

I could go on forever about the theatre. Movies...sure. Film? Most definitely.

Peace.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dude..that is so.fucking.cool!

And the irony of you being accepted to the DGA just makes it sweeter :)

Marlon was such the rebel during his lifetime. I can still see Sasheen Littlefeather accepting his oscar..or refusing it, I don't remember which.

Kudos Peter!

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home