SO MUCH TROUBLE IN THE WORLD

Monday, February 02, 2009

Olympic Doping

A few days ago, this photo surfaced of Michael Phelps smoking marijuana out of a bong at a party in November.





Almost immediately, "experts" said that his career was in a tailspin, and that if he didn't stick to the straight and narrow path, he could irreparably hurt his future earning potential.

To add to this, swim coaches across the country said they would use the incident as a teachable moment, driving home the point that drugs undermine athletic performance and that Phelps will suffer the consequences of his actions, losing esteem, and perhaps endorsements.

Frankly, I think it only sheds some light on his reported diet.






If you want my opinion ... and you probably don't ... I say give the kid a fucking break for Christ sakes. After all, he is twenty three years old.

I may be biased, since I dared to risk reefer madness in my college days, but I think this issue is severely overblown for several reasons

* Almost everybody has smoked pot at one point in their life. Show me someone that has not, and I will show you someone who irons their socks.

* The type of consumer who will buy products endorsed by phelps are most likely in their 20s and 30s. They can relate to a guy who like to screw hot girls and take the occasional pull on a Graffix.

I knew this uproar had reached a tipping point of absurdity when I turned on MSNBC last night. A woman in a dark red pant suit was telling the audience that this incident sent the wrong message to young kids about the use of performance enhancing drugs in today's athletes.



(*Disclaimer - I have used a picture of Democratic Minnesota Senator Amy Jean Lobuchar for illustrative purposes only. She was the only picture I could find of a red pant suit. Sorry Amy!)

Performance enhancing drug????

What is this Church Lady smoking?

The only way that pot will ever be classified as a performance enhancing drug is when they place a giant Snickers bar at the finish line.


Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I actually had better distance runs in the first 3 months of training for the MCMarathon this year while I was high...unfortunately I ran out of cash and just couldn't afford the herb in the last 2 months before the big day...still ran the marathon though...I wouldn't call it performance enhancing (I'm sure I did damage to my lungs) but honestly, it was for me!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Listener said...

Hello Peter, I agree with you give this kid a break, he did not commit murder, he did not rob anyone or rape someone, he got caught smoking pot, which almost all of the world has done at one time or another, as I did in my younger days, as that was the thing to do and it was "IN" then...
Performance enhancing, what a joke, Pot is not a steroid, these people making these statements need to get their facts straight, If whoever took this picture had not printed it, no one would of ever known, but of course Im sure they made big money on that picture, and how do they know there was Pot in that bong? People smoke other things...the kids would not know about it if people quit making such a big deal out of it...how many movie stars have been caught drunk or smoking pot, but they don't kick them out of Hollywood....everyone should be able to have a private life, and do what they want in private. The public should not know everytime you go to the bathroom just because you are a star, or a olympic swimmer...

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home