SO MUCH TROUBLE IN THE WORLD

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Where's the beef?

Advertising agencies are a lot like whores and strippers. They look for who is spending the money, and then they kneel down in front of them.

At some point in the 1990s advertisers woke up to the fact that women often spend money at a far greater rate than men do.

In a married household, it is often the woman who will buy the lion's share of the goods. From this point on, commercials often portrayed the wife as the "smart" consumer, and the husband as the dunderhead.

You see this theme repeated time and time again.

These commercials show these dull mouth-ajar husbands, with clever Marilyn-Vos-Savant wives who always seem to steer them in the right direction (toward the advertised product, of course)

If you have been watching TV lately, you might have seen the new Quiznos "real people" campaign. I think that Quiznos tried to follow this "speak to the woman" rule but they have perhaps gone too far.

If you want to see the whole :30 televised spot, it can be viewed in both QT and WMV (For the time being) on the official Quiznos web site.

I looked for this new :30 spot on youtube.com, and found that Mark Harley has done a nice job of isolating the line in question.



I love the look on the other woman's face as she delivers that line.

I don't know about you, but I am headed to KFC right this minute to get a breast in my mouth ASAP!

If you play this video clip backwards, you can clearly hear her saying, "Satan is in the sandwich".

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger urban vegan said...

I really wish she were saying "seitan is in the sandwich," instead.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Peter Matthes said...

When Mark slows the commercial down like this I feel like she should be saying:

"It puts the lotion in the basket or it gets the hose."

3:28 PM  
Blogger Passionate Eater said...

That slowed-down playback is actually pretty scary. Not her face or anything, but that laugh gave me the shivers!

10:35 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

i'm with Urban Vegan all the way!!

1:57 AM  
Blogger IndyPindy said...

I HATE that Quiznos commercial! HATE HATE HATE it!

And I'm not sure that men don't spend as much money as women, just on different things - electronics, computer games, cars, gadgets, etc.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

2:08 PM  
Blogger Tricia said...

I HATE the way that woman laughs in the commercial and I made the mistake of telling my husband about it, so now he pauses it whenever it comes on, urgently calls me in from the other room, then presses play while I run away screaming and cursing after realizing what he's doing.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home